Friday, February 22, 2013

.....Staying forever....

All in all, I think I am shocked at how little of the post-adoption 'crazy' we have actually experienced. Oh how I fretted and worried about the months after coming home from Ethiopia, especially after we learned that Gedion was much older than we thought. In my wildest dreams we had tantrums, screaming fits, horrible words of anger, acts of defiance, physical backlash at siblings... you name it, I just knew Gedion would do it.

Oh how I was wrong about which child to worry about! 

Gedion has been like a dream! Often I am shocked that he has had the life he has. His spirit is so filled with joy, ALL THE TIME! He is constantly loving and hugging on Mommy and Daddy and loves his brothers over the moon and back. He has transitioned at school like a dream, already learning to read in English in less than 2 months. There are moments when he asks hard questions about Ethiopia, but we talk and cuddle and his heart is healing more and more each time. I honestly think he looks back on his time in Ethiopia with a mixture of feelings, but mostly, I think he has joy for the country he was born in. Recently he has started to say "Me Ethiopian" with a giant smile.. to which I always hug him and tell him "Yes, baby, your an amazing Ethiopian!" His healing is coming more quickly and with less painful moments that I expected. Praise God for that!

The only problems, and I really mean this, have been with our little Sassy Pants. She is testing the boundaries of our love for her.. I remind myself of this every time she quietly takes off her diaper in her crib and poops all over the mattress and her blankets. She is testing us, to see if we will leave her or will we be here for her, forever.

This week has been a doozy! Sassy has been sick for the first time since coming home. Nothing major, a slight fever and a slimy green junk running out of her face all the time. But for whatever reason, she has decided to couple her not feeling well with some major tests of Mommy.

Reminding myself as she screams at me for the 100th time today, she is a baby from a hard place. Her life has been filed with different people. Her heart has been broken a 100 times more than my own in just over 2 years. She has felt loss and hurt that most people don't feel in a lifetime. I am writing this now to remind myself of that next time I am cleaned smeared poop from slats in the crib. 

I am staying Sassy, Mommy is staying, forever. 

3 comments:

  1. We have had our set of testing our love as well. It gets better, little by little, I promise. Hang in there:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Gideon has transitioned so well for you. Praying that your little sas will understand your love and start to trust you more. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls! This morning is a new day and new blessings! Sassy seems to have slept well and woke up happy! =)

    ReplyDelete